St. Paul Lutheran Church
Mission Statement
1: Reach out to our community and the world to provide love, care and support (monetary and otherwise) so others can know Christ's love and salvation.
2: Provide a safe and welcoming place of worship to our church community, recognizing that includes people of all ages and walks of life.
3: Teach members of all ages about God's grace and forgiveness, which in turn will help enable our church family to live healthier lives in mind and spirit.
St. Paul History
Pastors of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Mayville
Church Organized, March 14, 1886
Reverend Henkendorf, Missionary 1865 – 1884
Reverend Lange, Missionary 1885 and before
Reverend Erdmann Pankow, Missionary and Pastor 1885 – 1886
Reverend C. Holz 1886 – 1893
Reverend A. H. Rehn 1893 – 1931
Reverend Konrad Herbener 5/1931 – 1943
Reverend H. Michelke 1943 – 1/1950
Reverend Ernst Henklemann 2/1950 – 1973
Reverend Gerhard Nass 7/1967 – 4/1982
Reverend Merill Herder 9/1973 – 1977
Reverend David Wietelman, Assistant 5/1978 – 1979
Reverend Gordon Putman, Assistant 2/1980 – 10/1983
Reverend Jerome Evavold 1/1983 – 11/1990
Reverend Melvin Frahm 6/1984 – 1988
Reverend David Redman, Assistant 6/1988 – 1991
Reverend Daniel Brosi, Assistant 1991 – 6/1994
Reverend Daniel Brosi, Senior Pastor 1992 – 8/1994
Reverend Joyce Hintz, Assistant 8/1994 – 7/1996
Reverend Judy McCall, Interim 10/7/1996 – 10/25/2009
Reverend Goeffrey Hoy 1/9/2011 – 12/31/2015
Reverend Barry Hoerz 12/13/17 – 3/7/2021
Reverend Sara Gillespie 11/17/2022 –
Reverend Traci Maass 10/2022-
Interim Pastors of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Mayville
Reverend Scott Marresse–Wheeler, Interim
12/2/2009 – 1/10/ 2010
Reverend David Zandt, Interim
1/11/2010 – 10/30/2010
Reverend Joy Mortensen–Wiebe, Interim
4/2016 – 5/28/2017
Reverend Paul Petersen, Interim
6/3/17 – 11/19/2017
Reverend Kenneth L. Schaub, Interim
3/15/21 – 6/15/2022
History of St. Paul Lutheran Church
Mayville, WI
Our church ancestors signed the incorporation papers on March 4, 1885 at the Meeting House of the Union Church in Mayville where services had been held for several years. Mr. Ferdinand Schley was elected President and Johann Macheel, Secretary. Others who signed were Ferdinand Zuelke, Ferdinand Faltz, John Schley and Carl Schley. They signed the papers before Heinz Spiering, Notary Public.
Although we use the date of incorporation to celebrate in present day, our church is much older.
Actually, our congregation has roots going back to about the 1850s, when people moving to the Town of Theresa from Lebanon brought Lutheran habits with them. They conducted services in each other's homes. We have Johann Macheel's baptismal records from 1857 and Rev. Pankow's from 1868. A log church was built east of Mayville on Schley property on the site of present St. Paul cemetery on Gill Road.
Plans for a new building at our present location in Mayville had been made before incorporation. Work on the new church was begun immediately. When the building was completed the new Evangelical Lutheran St. Paul's Church was dedicated on November 8, 1885 by the Rev. Pankow, who had conducted services at the Union Church for several years.
A short time after the new church had been built, Rev. Pankow could no longer serve. Rev. Holz served until June, 1886. In the fall of 1886, Rev. A. H. Rehn of Theresa was called to serve our congregation as well as his own, St. Peter's at Theresa. He served until 1893 when, with 35 families, it was thought best to have a pastor of their own who would live in their midst.
A call was extended to Rev. Konrad Herbener of South Dakota. Early in the year 1893, a new parsonage was built and the new pastor was installed October 15.
In 1894 a barn was built, because the pastor needed a horse. In 1895 a schoolhouse was built between the church and the parsonage.
In 1898 the church was remodeled. A furnace and electrical lights were installed and a new altar was purchased. In 1902 the parsonage was remodeled and electric lights were installed. A heating system was added to the parsonage in 1917. Three years later, the parsonage was damaged by fire, and repaired.
A pipe organ was installed in the church in 1925. The congregation grew rapidly. After 37 years of service, Rev. Herbener resigned due to poor health. Pastor Herbener prepared approximately 550 children for confirmation during those 37 years of his ministry, and also taught daily for ten years at the parochial school.
Rev. H.A. Michelke was called from Fargo, North Dakota, and was installed May 17, 1931.
A Golden Jubilee service was held June 16, 1935. A complete renovation of the church was done in 1938. The building was moved north and a basement was added. A beautiful front entry was built as well. This church served the congregation another 18 years.
In 1943, Rev. Michelke resigned to become a chaplain in the army. Rev. E. Henkleman was called as the new pastor. During his time at St. Paul, the 60th Anniversary Celebration was held in October, 1945. He served until 1950.
Rev. Gerhard Nass was called January 15, 1950. He was installed February 12, 1950.
By the time of the 65th Anniversary Celebration in 1950, we had 1041 baptized members. Plans for a new church building were begun in 1951 as the old building was becoming crowed. After studying several alternatives, in 1953 it was decided to build a new church on the present lot including a parish hall attached to the building and a separate parsonage.
In 1954, the new parsonage lot, north of the church was purchased and the former Ray Youngbeck house on the lot was purchased and move to make room for the new parsonage. The old parsonage was sold and moved to S. School Street and Ruedebusch Avenue. It is no longer there as it caught fire and was torn down due to the significant damage.
In October, the 70th Anniversary Celebration was held in the old church. At this time, there were 1219 baptized members. The last Sunday service in the old church was held April 8, 1956. Ground breaking for the new church took place April 15, 1956, with an estimated cost of $290,000. During the building time, Sunday services were held in the May Theater, and Sunday school classes in various homes.
The first Sunday school classes were held in May 1957. Church services were also held in the basement of the new church before the Sanctuary was completed. Dedication ceremonies for the new Early English Style Architecture. Church Building were held the week of August 12-25, 1957.
Many groups used the new church for meetings and a wide variety of activities were held within the next few years. The 80th Anniversary was celebrated September, 1965. The last payment was made on the church debt in November, 1966.
Membership in January, 1967 was 1194 baptized members. Rev. Merrill Herder was called and installed in July, 1967. Pastor and Mrs. Nass moved to a home on Mayer Lane, so the Herder family could live in the parsonage. Pastor Nass continued to serve St. Paul until he passed away in 1979. His wife Ruth continued their work at St. Paul after his death.
In September, 1973, Rev. David Wietelmann was installed as Assistant Pastor. After four years in Mayville, he and his family left for Saginaw, Michigan in 1977. Rev. Gordon Putnam was installed as Assistant Pastor on May 28, 1978. He stayed in Mayville a little less than two years. On. February 3, 1980, Rev. Jerome Evavold from Sioux Falls was installed as the assistant pastor. The Herder's purchased a home on the corner of Bridge and John St. The Evavold's moved into the parsonage. On April 25, 1982 Rev. Herder preached his farewell sermon because he accepted a call to Mondovi, WI.
On January 9, 1983, Rev. Melvin Frahm was installed as lead pastor by Bishop Schumacher. Rev. Evavold preached his last sermon at St. Paul on October 9, 1983 after accepting a call to Duluth. Rev. David Redman joined St. Paul in June of 1984 as an assistant pastor. 1984 was also the year that the new parking lot was created
Rev. Reaman left in 1988. Rev. Dan Brosi was called as assistant pastor to replace him. Rev. Frahm accepted a call to South Dakota and left November 11, 1990. In 1991, Rev. Brosi became senior pastor of St. PauL Rev. Joyce Heinz was installed as an assistant pastor in 1992. Pastor Brosi left in June, 1994 and Pastor Heintz accepted a call to Johnson Creek in August of the same year. Rev. Judi McCall became our interim pastor at that time. She led the congregation in 1995 and 1996.
Rev. Geoffrey Hoy came to St Paul in 1996. Bonnie Vize joined the staff soon after as Music Minister. During their ministry, the new organ and elevator were installed and the sanctuary was updated. Both were instrumental in raising money for the project. The Hoys left in 2008 when Pastor Hoy retired. Bonnie stayed on and led worship until an interim pastor could be found.
Rev. David Zandt came in 2010 as an interim. Bonnie Vize stayed on as Music Minister until after Rev. Barry Hoerz was called in 2011. He stayed until early in 2016. Rev. Joy Mortensen-Wiebe came as interim pastor in 2016 and stayed until 2017, when Rev. Paul Peterson became interim pastor in May 2017. He served the congregation until just before Rev. Sara Gillespie was called. She was with us from December 2018 to March 2021. From 2012 through 2021, the number of members declined, especially during Covid which struck in early 2020 and continued to affect church attendance for quite a while.
Rev. Ken Schaub stepped in as interim pastor in May of 2021 and stayed until his retirement in July 2022. In October 2022, Rev. Traci Maass was called. She began at St. Paul the middle of November and was installed at the end of January 2023. She has been busy starting new activities, leading worship and giving inspirational sermons. We pray she stays with us for a long time.